Sunday, November 7, 2010

Scars

As I walked into school I tried my hardest to hide the one thing about me that I wanted to keep from everybody.
My Scar.
It was an ugly thing,
It protruded from the skin, almost as a mutant
It started by my elbow and ran up my arm to my shoulder
The whole scar was sharp to the touch
I wore band aids over band aids trying to cover it up
and eventually it worked
I would wrap it with layers upon layers of moleskin
The bump would still show
But luckily nobody looked close enough
to notice the scar protruding from my skin
I went by every day
and nobody asked about it
I was succeeding
I was hiding
After a time passed
I started to question my actions
Would people understand if I didn't hide the ugly scar?
Or would people see me as a freak?
Then one morning I decided to unwrap the moleskin
and show the world the ugly protruding scar
I went by school and people looked at me differently
They stopped talking to me
I was outcasted
However a few people did accept me
These few people were the only reason I kept the scar unwrapped
I kept the scar open for a good month
I went home one day and went about my day as normal
Then as I walked past my mother my scar brushed against her skin
It cut her deep and I watched the blood trickle down her arm
Staining her skin as it ran down in thick drops
I stared in horror
I ran out the door and immediately drove to my best friends house
I talked and talked to her
but as I walked out the door the scar brushed against her back
It cut through her shirt
and deep into her skin
the blood again trickled down her back
collecting in the threads of her shirt
Staining her skin and clothing
I slowly took steps back as I watched her stare at me in horror
She called my name, and asked me why I even took off the moleskin in the first place
I did not respond
I didn't know how to
the reason was selfish
the reason was mean
Put it back on she said
Put it back on.
Hide it.
I ran away in tears.
I immediately went home and took out the moleskin
I wrapped it twice as much as usual
Never again was I to show this scar
It has caused to much pain
Too much grief
And too much sorrow
I watched the scar disappear under the moleskin
Never again
Never again
Will I show this part of me to the world
Maybe it is better to hide this from the world
Maybe this wasn't really part of who I really am
Wether it is or not
I know one thing
It will never be shown to the world again.
Never again do I want to bring that amount of pain to people
Never again do I want to stain people in that way
Tears filled my eyes as I wrapped the moleskin over my scar one last time.
Never.
Again.

No comments: