Saturday, April 4, 2009

Band Class

So this last month my band teacher gave us a 15 measure song. He told us to transpose it and then memorize it. He gave us a whole month to do it, so i figured, it can't be that hard, so I put it off. (Mistake #1). Then the week of the test comes around and I don't even have it transposed yet, let alone memorized. I was hoping he would give us some type of extension, YEAH, keep wishing Baxter (Mistake #2). I transposed it Monday night. The test was Thursday. I then proceeded to forget about it (Mistake #3). Then Thursday comes around and he announces that he will be testing us in 20 minutes. I started freaking out. I quickly jumped in the hallway and played through it over and over and over again. I managed to memorize half of the song. He then proceeded to bring out the camera and told us to play in front of it. Everybody then began thinking, he won't be watching us, why not cheat! But of course the teacher was smarter than that. He then asked, as he said, a responsible student to make sure no cheating will be going on. And guess who he picked, ME! I immediately felt guilty. So everybody played in front of the camera and I quickly found out, I was a lot better off then some of these people. I played and then half way through nobody was coming. Thats when me and Christian started talking how bad of a mood our teacher was going to be in when he watched these, why not make his day. I have always sung an arrangement of When the Saints Come Marching in. It required two people and was very creative. I taught it to Christian and the show was planned. We then performed the song in front of the camera and it turned out hilarious. We had the whole class laughing, but our teacher still didn't know. Class ended and life went on. The next band class came around and our teacher talked to us about how horrible our tests were, he then said he will give us one more day to memorize and hopefully, get a better grade. Then he went on and said, but all I have to say about the playing tests... "Oh when the saints! Go marching in!" The whole class erupted into laughter, "That definitely made my day, that was awesome." The plan went across really well! And we got an extra day and I took the test again and Aced it. The week finally turned out... thanks to one song.

No comments: